COUTURE SEWING TECHNIQUES by LEONARD CHOO (Series of 3)
NOTE: THIS COURSE IS NOT SKILLSFUTURE CLAIMABLE.
LEONARD CHOO X FASHION MAKERSPACE
3 session course total 9 hours
This course aims to teach hand and machine sewing techniques used in traditional couture houses and by professional, high-quality clothes makers.
It focuses on the easy explanation, demonstration, and practice of these couture techniques, and will aim to refine sewers’ skills in hand and machine sewing. This course also aims to promote the lightness-of-touch approach that is a mark of couture garment construction, which both amateurs and professionals can learn to translate into projects.
What You’ll Learn:
This is a skills-focused course which places emphasis on the learning of techniques and principles. Students coming out of this course will find that they are soon able to analyse and recreate designs of their own in future.
– Couture hand-stitches and their various uses in both professional and home clothesmaking (slipstitch, fellstitch, overcast, prickstitch etc.)
– Difficult seams and how to sew them (points, curves, etc.)
– Refining basic sewing techniques to a couture level — seams, darts, and pressing
– Stabilization techniques (flat-lining, fabric backings, etc.)
– Couture seam finishings (overcast, French, etc.)
– Couture edge finishes (binding, double-binding, piping, etc.)Classes start on time, please arrive 5 mins early if possible.
All tools and materials for the course will be provided. However, students are encouraged to bring personal sewing and fabric cutting tools if they would prefer.
*Students must have basic machine sewing skills and some knowledge of garment patternmaking and construction.
**This course moves along at a moderate pace suitable for advanced beginners, and missed classes will be a disadvantage. There will be no replacement classes for this course.
*Minimum 4 to start a class
ABOUT LEONARD CHOO:
Leonard is a bespoke clothesmaker, textile shopper, and costume designer formerly based in New York City. He was the principal fabric shopper for the New York City Ballet for 12 seasons, and and has draped and tailored for the Juilliard School, the television shows Gotham (FOX) and Crashing (HBO), Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Ballet Academy East in New York, Barrington Stage Company, Opera Omaha, and private clients.
Check him out at www.leonardchoo.com.